ABB announces that it has successfully completed the commissioning of a 13.4 MW gearless mill drive (GMD) system for the Hipogeno project. The GMD powers a 36‘ SAG (semiautogenous) mill at Carmen de Andacollo copper mine in central Chile. Carmen de Andacollo is an open-pit truck-and-shovel operation at an elevation of 1000 m. 90 % of the interests of the mine are held by Teck, Canada’s largest diversified mining, mineral processing and metallurgical company, headquartered in Vancouver/Canada. The remaining 10 % are held by Empresa Nacional de Minería, a Chilean government entity. ABB’s deliveries comprised an entire GMD system including transformers, ring motors and a complete E-house. With a GMD acting as a variable speed drive, mills start smoothly without any mechanical stress. The mine’s expanded production capacity will be 80 000 t of fine copper per year.
ABB Switzerland Ltd, Zürich (CH)
Tel.: +41 58-586-8832, www.abb.com