1 Model 650 of the Cavex® 2 hydrocyclone series
© Weir Minerals
By reducing bypass returning to the mill, fewer fines are returned back to the mill in closed-circuit milling process, thus reducing the need for energy to be used to further process particles that are already small enough to move on to the next stage. This frees up mill capacity for the size reduction of larger particles. As a hydrocyclone that can make a finer separation, the Cavex® 2 650 can operate at a lower pressure for further energy savings or a higher feed density for water savings while maintaining the existing cut size from the hydrocyclone. And finally, using equipment with a higher volumetric capacity required fewer units to be installed upfront as well as fewer consumable spare parts used over the life of the hydrocyclone.
2 With its LIG+™ advanced laminar spiral inlet and size of the feed chamber it delivers 30 % more capacity
© Weir Minerals
The latest Cavex® 2 650 hydrocyclone trial with a customer took place in a large copper ore mine Chile, which had a SAG mill in a closed circuit with the cyclone cluster. The trial tested one Cavex® 2 650 in a 6-place cluster of existing Cavex® cyclones and saw an improvement of up to 48.5 % in circulating load and 31.7 % in water bypass versus the original cluster. A lab water test with the same hydrocyclone fittings as above also yielded positive results: a 211 mm inlet and 260 mm vortex finder delivered 16 % more capacity at 100 kPa, and 17 % more capacity at 250 kPa.
The Cavex® 2 650 hydrocyclone is the second in a range of standard sizes that Weir Minerals are planning to release, with the commitment to onsite trials, research and development means the expert Weir Minerals team always pursues new improvements to ensure that Cavex® hydrocyclones stay at the forefront of the industry.
The new Cavex® 2 650 hydrocyclone will be available globally, with assembly in local regions. In addition more sizes are in development to expand the current product range.
As with all Cavex® 2 hydrocyclones, the 650 delivers significant benefits to mining customers including:
· Increased operational and circuit capacity up to 30 %
· Maximised plant recovery by reducing the quantity of misclassified particles with an average improvement of the alpha parameter more than 10 %
· Improvements in bypass with an average of over 15 %
· Opportunity to retrofit Cavex® 2 650 cyclone into existing cyclone cluster footprints
· Less turbulence during the separation process due to the LIG+™ inlet and elongated chamber design
· Improvement of environmental footprint
Applications and industries
The new Cavex® 2 650 hydrocyclone is ideally suited for use in a range of industries, including:
· Utility/FGD/General industrial
· Classification and separation (Mining)
· Classification and separation (Aggregates)
· Mine dewatering systems
· Tailings management